- About Us
- Get Involved
Bras for the Cause is a volunteer-based organization raising funds to eradicate breast and cervical cancer – especially through early intervention mammograms and cervical screenings.
Bras for the Cause incorporated as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) foundation in 2007. We operate throughout Iowa, with events in cities such as Des Moines, Winterset, Sioux City and Osceola, all culminating in our signature event of the year: the annual Bras for the Cause Gala. We actively sponsor and collaborate with other organizations throughout the state and across the country.
Bras for the Cause is completely volunteer-based, from the Board of Directors to the gala team.
What We Do
Bras for the Cause is committed to ensuring that all Iowans, uninsured or underinsured, have access to mammograms, cervical screenings and related medical programs or projects.
Bras for the Cause does this by:
- Raising awareness throughout the state that support is available to those in need
- Awarding monetary grants to organizations in need of funding for related projects and/or programs
- Raising funds through events such as the annual Bras for the Cause Gala, golf outings, and holiday gift wrapping
- Building a network of outreach to other Iowa communities interested in creating their own groups
- Exchanging ideas, collaborating and consulting nationally and locally with relevant groups
Why We Do It
- For the 65-year-old woman in Mason City who has never had a mammogram.
- For the family whose mother has no insurance.
- For those who have had breast cancer or are going through it now.
- For those who don't have it – and who may never get it – but who want to help stop it.
We are women standing up for women, becoming an army of fighters for every Iowan. We would love to hear your ideas and your stories. Email Angie Brick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How We Started
Seeing a decorated bra being used to raise awareness and money inspired a doctor to share the concept with friends in Iowa and they transformed the idea into a wildly successful fundraising event. Iowa's major health systems – along with Bank of the West, ABC-TV5 and many other generous sponsors – enthusiastically stepped up in a big way, while dozens of donors contributed goods and services.
The first event in 2007 was attended by more than 500 people, raised more than $340,000, included the efforts of more than 150 community volunteers, and received almost 150 decorated bras.