- About Us
- Get Involved
Bras for the Cause is dedicated to improving the health of Iowans, with a focus on breast and cervical cancer.
We are proud to subsidize a wide variety of programs to ensure that Iowans who are either underinsured or uninsured altogether have access to quality medical equipment for mammograms and cervical screenings. Bras for the Cause also provides valuable grants for relevant, cancer-related projects.
Funds are awarded for the following:
- Mammography exams
- PAP exams for cervical cancer
- Education and awareness related to early detection and treatment
- Some equipment
Because funds are limited, Bras for the Cause is unable to act favorably on all requests received. Each request is carefully evaluated on overall impact and availability of funds.
Bras for the Cause looks favorably upon applications from organizations that:
- Administer effective programs or projects
- Provide measurable and meaningful results
- Demonstrate financial stability and accountability
Bras for the Cause prefers the following types of proposals for grant funding consideration:
- Proposals that will allow the recipient organization to introduce new services or expand existing services to central Iowans
- Proposals between $5,000 and $25,000
- Projects with multiple funding sources, most of which are already identified and secured
- Projects that will have an impact on a measurable number of central Iowans
Bras for the Cause does not accept applications for the following:
- Organizations, projects or programs outside of the United States or mainly international
- Political parties, campaigns, candidates, or partisan organizations
- Private foundations
Bras for the Cause will not ordinarily consider the following:
- Organizations/Associations redistributing funds to other tax-exempt groups (with the exception of United Way, Greater Des Moines Community Foundation, and the Iowa College Foundation)
- Ongoing operational expenses
Applicants must be non-profit, tax-exempt organizations that have received a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) designation from the Internal Revenue Service (applications pending will not be considered) or must be a unit of political subdivisions or other such non–profit organizations organized exclusively for the promotion of social welfare as determined by Bras for the Cause at its sole discretion. Organizations applying for Bras for the Cause grant must provide programs and services to the women of central Iowa.
Grant recipient organizations are expected to communicate with the Bras for the Cause Grants Director regarding the use of their grant awards. This includes a signed grant agreement between the organization and Bras for the Cause outlining requirements and expectations for superior performance.
Recipient organizations will be asked to present a detailed recognition plan outlining how Bras for the Cause will be recognized for its contribution.
In addition, recipient organizations will be required to complete a Grant Evaluation Report (yearly, at a minimum) and, upon completion of the project, a Final Grant Evaluation Report detailing the use of the funds received from Bras for the Cause reporting on project progress and documenting outcomes and results.
Grant applications must be submitted to the Bras for the Cause Grants Director by March 1, 2013. No exceptions to this deadline will be made. Any application received after March 1, 2013 will not be considered.
Grant Review Timeline
The Bras for the Cause Grants Director will review all applications. After the evaluation has been completed, the recommended applications will be forwarded to the Bras for the Cause Board of Directors for approval. Applicants will receive notification of the Board's decision by May 15, 2013, and grant funds will be distributed in June.
All grant applications and required documents should be sent to:
Bras for the Cause
650 S. Prairie View Drive – 125
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Organizations that provide an email address on their application will receive a confirmation of receipt once their application has been processed.
If you are requesting funding for more than one project, you must complete a separate grant application for each request.
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.